With 2019 upon us, most of the states in the US have legalized the use of cannabis, at least for medical purposes. The success of your cannabis dispensary relies on consistently making the best choices regarding the investment of your time and money.
But what is most important and where is the marketing budget most wisely used in 2019?
I personally make it a point to keep myself on the forefront of the dispensary marketing strategies as dispensary owners make up a significant portion of my client base. Follow these tips to get the most out of your time and money in the upcoming year.
Of course, in an ideal world, these things would have already been planned out a few months ago however, it is easy to let things get too ‘busy’ to take the time to implement marketing strategies. This list consists of several precise suggestions for making the most of your cannabis dispensary marketing efforts.
1. Build Customer Lists and Take Advantage of Email Marketing & Rewards Programs
If you are not already collecting the names and email addresses of your customers, you should start today. The easiest way to increase your business is by getting more business out of your existing customers. There is a good chance that most of the people who come into your shop will not mind giving you their contact information in exchange for customer appreciation specials, special events, etc…
According to a study conducted by Outbound Engine, an outbound email marketing company, there are several shocking facts about human email behavior and email marketing specifically. Here are a few examples:
- Email is nearly 40 times better than Facebook and Twitter at acquiring customers. (McKinsey & Company)
- For every $1 spent on email marketing, the average return on investment is $44.25. (ExactTarget)
- 95% of those who opt into email messages from brands find these messages somewhat or very useful. (Salesforce)
- If an email does not display correctly, 71.2% will delete it immediately. (BlueHornet)
2. Simplify your customer purchases with cashless ATM machines.
Today’s cannabis consumers are after quality and convenience. Making them take an extra stop to an ATM machine to withdraw cash, or using a pre-paid card may not be the most advantageous ways to
Cashless ATM machines for medical marijuana dispensaries are becoming increasingly popular every day, and are a cost-effective way to improve your customer service, reduce cash on hand, and to simplify your life and the lives of your customers.
3. When it Comes to Online Presence, Image and Accessibility are Everything
Your website should be the hardest working, around-the-clock sales representative you have ever had.
On the other hand, failure to use the internet as the powerful resource that it is can be detrimental to your weed business because you have much less exposure than your competitors who have likely figured this out. That said, a professional branding and overall image
Having a responsive website in place is one component of that, as it is important for both your users and for Google.
Since the image is such an important aspect determining the effectiveness of your online web presence, it may be time to consider re-designing your dispensary logo (or getting one professionally designed period). I recommend Fiverr for logo design as they will enable you to have many designers compete for your business, allowing you to choose the one which fits your business best. Best of all, the logo competitions are basically the same as what you would pay to have a single logo designed.
3. Active Social Media Participation
In 2019, simply having a dispensary Facebook page in place will not be nearly enough. You should be consistently engaging with your potential patients and customers.
There are some programs which can make this easier on you. HootSuite is one of the social media management programs in which you can schedule posts ahead of time, post simultaneously to various social media sites, measure audience participation and be more involved across more social media outlets without having to invest more time.
4. Content Marketing is the Key
Content marketing is putting out information which is designed to increase your client base and engage your customers in interacting with your social media pages and keeping your existing client base. This type of marketing requires a little more thought than some of the other 2016 brick & mortar marketing tips but it is an important one which must be considered.
Here are some examples
- Create and distribute content which you can use for your website to enhance existing pages. It’s always great to kill 2 birds with 1 stone when it comes to writing content.
- Create a series of valuable YouTube videos which teach your existing or potential patients/customers how to do something that they likely enjoy doing or have to do.
- Create and distribute content which will attract potential clients. Think as if you were a client and the information which you would find most useful.
5. Focus on Customer Experience, Online, and Offline
Regardless of whether or not Amazon starts selling cannabis, there is still going to be a time and place for your brick & mortar dispensary establishment.
You are capable of providing a different type of experience than Amazon is.
This advantage is providing an enjoyable customer experience. There are many ways of going about this but here are a few examples:
- Replacing or re-motivating employees who are less than pleasant towards customers. Zack may be your buddy but if he can’t smile and treat the cannabis customers right then you are likely to be losing business as a result.
- Optimize your website for mobile devices and for speed. Search engines like it and so do your clients.
- Create customer appreciation specials which provide fun experiences for your customers to come in. Consider having a local art show or displaying local art on an ongoing basis.
- Allow customers who come in the door to have the best experience possible, whatever it might take to make that possible. If you sell clothes
letthem try them on with assistanceof a worker. If you provide a service, make candy available to your clients.
- Make your clients smile. It will make them want to come back.
When creating dispensary marketing strategies, the above steps will put you ahead of your competitors and provide your clients with a customer experience which makes them keep coming back and telling their friends about you.
Also, remember any time you try something new, put a system in place for tracking and measuring results so you may evaluate the overall impact and measure / optimize results.