Case Studies for Web Design & Digital Marketing by Mitch Smith
I started working with VP Distributions Inc. in early 2014. I was hired as the full time business development manager and was responsible for taking the company from being a startup to being a profitable company. There were many challenges involved however, over that period of time the company went from doing basically zero sales to over $500,000 per month when I pursued other opportunities in April 2015.
Note: I have not run the website in some time but I did set up the OpenCart functionality from scratch.
When I started working with VP Distributions (Vapor Products) the company had just barely opened. Since the objective was to become one of the leading vapor hardware distribution companies, it was important to break this down into smaller, manageable pieces. Since this was a highly involved eCommerce project, it was helpful for Vapor Products Distributions to have an Oklahoma City Web Designer on staff.
- Evaluate the immediate competition and market opportunity.
- Co-ordinate sales and warehouse departments to enable effective communication and eliminate process redundancies as much as possible.
- Recruit and hire a knowledgeable sales staff and implement cold calling campaigns.
- Design a simple, responsive, user friendly website which looks good on all devices including an e-commerce platform which was cost effective. Since we were working on a tight budget, I was able to quickly eliminate some of the larger wholesale platforms as potential solutions. I decided OpenCart, although not the ideal wholesale solution, would meet our needs at that time and I definitely made it work. I do not recommend OpenCart as a go-to solution for wholesale purposes however, I did manage to figure out how to use the setup in a manner which suited our needs at that time.
- Set up social media pages including Facebook, Twitter and Google+. (I have not managed in quite some time.)
- Implement an SEO campaign to enable discovery by near-by customers in addition to vapor shops, smoke shops and other potential customers around the United States.
- Create directory listings in all relevant industry related directories, with links to website and social media
- Create marketing campaigns across industry related websites and publications.
- Design trade show booths and schedule appearances at most relevant industry trade shows across the country.
In the 16 months of working for the company, I pursued other opportunities (on good terms). We had achieved some favorable outcomes in various aspects of the business including having sales months reaching over $500,000. Some of these outcomes included:
- Capturing a large portion of the market share for vapor hardware wholesalers.
- Launching our own product lines including INVO Vapor (Another site I designed, but have not managed in quite some time).
- Creating a daily inflow of customer leads who were interested in working with the company and inquiring about our products and services.
- A substantial name recognition in the industry.
- Ongoing opportunities for growth such as creating e-liquid lines and more product lines upon which we could innovate and develop the market.
- A synergy among various departments which worked efficiently and effectively together.
- Obtaining a hard working, knowledgeable sales staff which was a crucial in reaching these goals.
[themify_icon icon=”fa-quote-left” style=”large white” ]